# #

0412 796 390   

Mariana P Ceremonies logo

Paperwork & Legals

Monitum — Celebrant Authority

Monitum — Celebrant Authority

It is a legal requirement for me, as a Registered Marriage Celebrant, or any Celebrant, to read out the specific legal words with a clear and sound voice in the presence of the persons witnessing the marriage. However, the structure/elements of the ceremony, any other words, poems, readings, rituals, etc., before and after is up to the couple.




There are also legal vow words that must be recited by me as the Registered Marriage Celebrant, or any Celebrant, and then repeated by the couple. However, I encourage couples to write their own personal vows to declare to each other on their wedding day, celebration of commitment, and or renewing of vows. Vows do not have to be complex or elaborate! I can also assist here!

Paperwork and General Information

Paperwork and General Information

To be legally married in Australia, a person must:

  • not be married to someone else
  • not be marrying a parent, grandparent, child, grandchild, brother or sister
  • be at least 18 years old, unless a court has approved a marriage where one party is aged between 16 and 18 years old
  • understand what marriage means and freely consent to marrying
  • use specific words during the ceremony
  • give written notice of their intention to marry to their authorised celebrant, within the required time frame - Notice of Intended Marriage.

Marriage Equality in Australia

From 9 December 2017, sex or gender no longer affects the right to marry under Australian law and same-sex marriage became legal in Australia.  The Marriage Amendment (Definition and Religious Freedoms) Act 2017 amended the Marriage Act 1961 to redefine marriage as 'the union of 2 people to the exclusion of all others, voluntarily entered into for life'.

Important Paperwork & Information 

  • In the first instance a Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM) form must be completed and lodged with me, as the Celebrant, one calendar month prior to the marriage ceremony date and up to 18 months beforehandClick here to download a copy of the Notice of Intended Marriage Form from the Attorney General's website - www.ag.gov.au
  • For overseas couples, the NOIM can also be completed and witnessed outside Australia, if required, by an Australian Consular Officer, Australian Diplomatic Officer and a notary public.
  • Any documents in a foreign language must be translated into English by an Australian authorised NAATI Translator.
  • Should a partner not speak or understand English, an Australian authorised NAATI Interpreter will be necessary during the ceremony. 
  • As the Celebrant, I can help complete and witness the form and assist with providing the necessary form and an Australian authorised NAATI organisation.
  • Original copies of certificates/papers, evidence of date and place of birth, photo identity and the end of any previous marriages for each party must also be provided.
  • If there is less than one month before the wedding date a prescribed authority may approve a shorter notice time in some limited/special circumstances.
  • The marriage ceremony must be witnessed by two (2) people 18+ years of age and must be able to speak and understand English.
  • Couples are not required to attend any pre-marital courses. As the Celebrant, I will provide the brochure Happily Ever Before and After, as well as a Relationship Services kit as a guide to review.
  • You don't have to be an Australian citizen or a permanent resident of Australia to legally marry in Australia. 

After you are Married

  • On the wedding day, you will sign three marriage certificates. Each certificate should be signed by you, me as your Celebrant and the two witnesses. You will be given one of the certificates as a record of your marriage - however this is not a legal document.
  • As the Celebrant, I must provide all the marriage paperwork/forms/certificates to the Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages in the state or territory in which the marriage took place within 14 days.
  • The Official Marriage Certificate issued by the Births, Deaths & Marriages is required for many official purposes. Either, the Celebrant or couples can apply for a copy of this certificate from the Registry after the wedding day.
If you are having a Commitment Ceremony, this is not a legally recognised marriage ceremony and you will not be issued with an Official Marriage Certificate by the Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages.